Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Christmas surprise...

We have been blessed to have Sherrie home and with the children being around for the holidays she has responded well to their love and noise. Christmas eve was special at our home. We had some good friends come over to sing carols to my sweetheart and the family. I was not there, but those present said that as they sang songs, Sherrie was visibly moved starting to cry and kept saying "beautiful, beautiful". Needless to say, many tears were shed that night and the spirit of the season was felt.

Christmas morning I awoke with great anticipation for a good day with the family. We had Sherrie with  us as we opened presents and then moved to make preparations for our traditional Christmas breakfast. We had just sat down with my sweetheart by my side when she made a noise and I turned to see her body going into a seizure/ It didn't last long, but brought terror to my heart. We called 911 and were then transported to the hospital where over the next couple of hours she would have 2 more episodes. We would then spend the next 3 days in the hospital. Words can't adequately express my feelings at that time. Fortunately, I had one of my sons with me and we gave her a blessing that continues to bless her life today.

After many tests a couple of scans and an added infection in her bladder, we returned home friday evening hoping that things would get better. Seizures are not uncommon with TBI, but since Sherrie had not had any for over 7 months, we thought we were in the clear. We don't know for sure what triggered the episode, but when it does happen it can effect neuro responsiveness.

We have been watching and evaluating to see what impact she has realized. We did see some change, but over each passing day we have been very grateful to see her regain much of the functionality she had prior to Christmas Day. We will remain hopeful this will continue and accelerate.

This is not the Christmas I had planned, not even close. I don't know why it happened and I wish it hadn't, but I know she continues to be watched over by a very loving Heavenly Father. An already interesting journey has gotten even more interesting this week. My sweetheart is doing better today, using her voice more and I still get my "I love you".


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of this setback. My heart aches for you and your family, especially during this Holiday season. I admire your positive attitude and outlook. You're a good husband,father and leader. Hopefully 2013 will be a better year for you and your family.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you still have what we call "Sherrie's Omelet" on Christmas Morning, but we do, and this year was no exception. Memories of Sherrie are in every aspect of our lives, and we love her and you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to all of you. It is wonderful to see how well you all take care of each other. A way of life you have learned well from your dear mother and wife. Her heart is very happy I am sure to see her children and grandchildren rally round and do what she is unable to for them right now. Not to say that she doesnt wish so bad she could be up and doing but that is not her work right now. Love to all,
    The Dunns

    ReplyDelete