Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Update On Our Olympian..

It's been a few days since our last post and a lot has happened. We continue to see progress in many areas where we are very grateful for a merciful and loving Heavenly Father. Over the last week the focus has been on getting Sherrie used to standing on her feet. We started on a tilt table a week ago and today she stood, with help, while holding on to parallel bars. It takes a lot of energy out of her, but when we ask if she wants to do it again, she nods yes. She is a fighter!

A couple of weeks ago she struggled to and keep her balance. Today, she will sit with just a little help and will even reach down to touch her toes. Her curiosity to movements, colors, touch and sound is increasing. We can be in therapy and when she hears another patient talking, she will turn to look as though she just wants to observe for a while. She knows colors, numbers and can read. Today I walked in and she was being watched by a couple of student nurses. I asked Sherrie if she was enjoying all the attention and she nodded yes. One of the nurses said she had been reading their name tags and mouthing their names. I decided to test it myself and asked Sherrie the name of the nurse named Anna. Sure enough, she mouthed her name. I was very impressed.

Our son Todd and his wife Jess came up and visited Sherrie. Todd had just celebrated his 25th birthday a few days earlier. When he saw his mom he asked her if she remembered how old he was. Todd said she immediately held up two fingers on one hand and five on the other. We know her mind is becoming more and more alert.

We also see her funny personality come through. The other day the therapist asked Sherrie if they could do some more arm exercises. Sherrie immediately lifted her arms and swung them side to side and had a pretty good grin on her face. The therapist and Todd just laughed out loud.

My sweetheart is making good progress. She still has a number of challenges ahead, but we are very grateful for miracles that are occurring in her life. We pray that she will develop a spontaneous swallowing reflex so we can get her off the feeding tube. We pray that her ability to communicate will become more sharp so we can understand how we can help her and that she will shortly be able to stand with little help. I would like everything to happen tomorrow, but that is a bit unrealistic. As a family, we will continue to let the Lord lead. He has directed us this far and we know He will continue to be by Sherrie's side.

We continue to head down a path where we will take Sherrie home on the 14th of August. I asked her the other day if she was ready to go home and she nodded yes. That was confirmed yesterday when she  was pedaling on a device that gets her leg muscles moving and I asked her how fast she wanted to get home. All of a sudden she started peddling faster and faster...I think she is ready and I am too! She will continue her therapy 3 days a week at an RIC satellite center closer to home.

As always, we are grateful for all your good wishes, cards, emails and especially prayers. I know they are helping Sherrie along her way. Thank you! We pray the Lord's blessings for you and your family.

7 comments:

  1. Sherrie, you are a rock star! You are making such amazing progress! I wish I could say I'm progressing as well on my 5k. I have cut almost 10 minutes off my time but I quit running outside a week or so ago...as you know, Texas is HOT this time of year. But I keep workibg out on my own. If you keep up your great strides of progress (yes, pun was intended!) then you will be passing right by me soon enough.

    I still check your blog every night. Thanks to your family for keeping us posted. I hope that as the posts mention that you work better when your hubby is around that this will mean you'll do great at home. Your family is amazin and so are you!!

    Love you,
    Reg, in too hot to trot Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Labrum family,

    We are so grateful that the Lord is watching over your amazing family. You are continually in our prayers. Sherrie, you are an inspiration.

    We love you,
    The Shepherds

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Danene had her stroke almost a year ago we also were anxous to get her home even though we knew there was still a lot of work and therapy ahead. Hard to believe that there was ever anything wrong now, but there are times when we are reminded when Danene gets tired.
    I have faith that Sister Labram will be completely healed. It will just be on the Lord's time table. The Scribner families( Jon and Jim) pray for you and your sweet wife daily.
    Jim and Sue Anna Scribner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Labrum clan,

    Thanks so much for sharing yet more wonderful news. I so look forward to hearing about Sherrie. She's a true Olympian in her dedication and spirit, and I'm so glad to hear that she'll be going home soon. The best to all of you..

    Love,
    Avis

    ReplyDelete
  5. What incredible progress! Continued thoughts and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited that things progressing so well! continued love, prayers, and thoughts for all of you!!
    melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherrie,

    I’ve been thinking about you a lot, and about how challenging this experience – and so many little aspects of this experience – must be for you. I’m inspired by your strength and courage. It helps me to be a little braver in my little challenges. I hope you feel the Lord’s hand and His tender mercies each day. We’re all praying that you will.

    Much love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete