Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Dog Days of Summer...

It has been two weeks since we have had Sherrie home and it is nice to have her close to all her family. The doctors had told us that many patients improve faster once at home and I think this is the case with my dear wife. It has been a great blessing to see her respond to her grandchildren as they come to see grandma. She will wave them over and then try and give them a kiss. Some how some way, the connection to her family is very sharp. She loves her children and grandchildren so much and, I believe, is a big reason she is fighting so hard.

Her body seems to always be moving giving someone watching the impression that she is uncomfortable. I am sure that is true being on your back for so long, but I also know that more movement in all her extremities is a good sign. For this we continue to be very grateful. The other day I came to see her and she had her legs crossed one over the other. I asked her if she could do the same with the other leg and she immediately uncrossed the left and crossed her right. She will always try and stand when I set her on the side of the bed and is getting better at being able to stand assisted for an extended period of time. We are ways off from having her walk by herself, but her ability to understand and follow requests is another wonderful blessing.

She uses her voice more and more. Much sounds like jabber talk, but if you listen close and watch her lips, you can tell she is talking just not real clear at this point. She is pretty good at nodding yes and no and will surprise me with an answer from time to time that is very audible. When I think she is in pain, I will ask her to point to where it hurts and she will do so. All of this is a big help in knowing how we can better help her.

As she becomes more alert and stronger, it becomes more difficult to move her from to bed to chair. Her apraxia throws her head back where she then arches her back and then tries to stand. Trying to move a stiff board at a difficult angle is pretty tough. We are working to show her how to sit and stand through very slow and deliberate commands and she is responding well. This too will take time to overcome. As I work with her I feel I am in a wrestling match and she is always the winner.

We continue to feel the hand of the Lord in our lives. Being able to have her communicate with us to a greater degree is a wonderful blessing. Her being able to use her voice more often is outstanding and then seeing her start to laugh and give a big grin tells me she knows more about what is going on than we give her credit . Sherrie remains in good health and we are getting closer to the day that she will have her crainoplasty surgery (sept 13). We continue to pray that she will develop her swallowing reflexes so that we can get her off the G-tube and always seek Heavenly Fathers help in keep her strong and healthy.

It is hard to believe that a summer has past. Zach is back in school. Brittney has returned to Utah and we are beginning to settle into a routine that will help her get better and better. I continue to be very appreciative of all the cards, letters, thoughts and prayers on our behalf. I have stated this before and I will state again, they make a huge difference in my sweet wife's life and in mine. We hope and pray there will be a time when you will hear directly from Sherrie thanking you for all your goodness. 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update. We are all in this for however long it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron and Sherrie,
    We continue to follow and pray for you as you are enduring this trial well. We can see the Lord's hand in the many blessings He has given you - thanks for sharing.
    We want you to know that we love and care for you,
    Frank and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday our prayers continue to include Sherrie! We also pray that your family will be strengthened as you work hard to make her as comfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless all the Labrums and extended family. We are so thrilled Sherrie is at home -there is no place like home. Our time in Ghana is getting short. We leave here November 1 and will spend the first week-end with Andre and Janelle in Atlanta,then continuing to our home. We will dearly miss those we love so here, not to mention the constant summer weather. How grateful we are to serve our Savior in His house. We have visions of Sherrie at church with her beautiful smile when we return home. We love you, love all the progress being made and look forward to being with you again. I can just picture the fun Sherrie and all will have as you review these blogs when she recovers; a great record of a difficult, faith filled battle.Thank you as you continue to touch our lives with the love and faith in your family. Love, The Breillatts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherrie it is wonderful to hear of the good news and sounds like your family is very happy with all the fun you are providing them. Prayers for your swallowing reflex if that is the Lord's will right now. You are loved by so many. When God closes a door he opens a window. You are certainly making the most of your new window in life.
    Love, The Dunns

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about Sherrie's progress and all of the miracles that have come along the way. Your love and support for each other as a family are a great example to me in my own little family! Recently I was talking to Jared about Sherrie and remembering that one of the last times I saw her before her accident was at the Relief Society super Saturday where she and Ron spoke about parenting and giving our children boundaries. There were two things said that have stayed with me - 1 Kids spell love T-I-M-E and 2 Don't get "bamboozled!" That word has stuck with me and we have tried to find ways to establish the boundaries before trouble happens! I feel so grateful that I was able to be there and have that memory as the one that sticks in my mind when I think of Sherrie. We love your family and you are in our daily prayers.

    Love,
    Dani & Jared Bourgeois

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading your posts and continue to pray for your family. I am also sorry at the loss of Scott. About a month ago a woman was hit by a car on I-80 while retrieving a bicycle that had fallen off their trailer. Her dad is a distant relative of mine. She suffered broken bones and severe head trauma. As I read his daily updates on her progress, which is very, very, slow. It reminds me of your early updates and it gives me hope for her and her family. The journey you are both on his strenuous and long! Both loving women with children and noble husbands standing by their side. Love, joy and hope to your family from mine!

    Debbie Devey Hadlock
    (Centerville, Utah)

    ReplyDelete
  8. President Labrum, Sherrie and Family,

    We want you to know that we are praying so much for your sweet family. We love you. We know that Heavenly Father is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I have been “quiet” on the comments, I have thought and prayed for Sherrie and the Labrum family every day. I have been following the blog closely and think of Sherrie often as she is now home and just a mile or so away. How I wish I could just give her a big hug and let her know how much we all love her. I’m sure, like me, many have spent many quiet moments these last few months pondering the daily versus eternal nature of this earthly journey. I pray Ron and children will continue to be blessed as they move forward in this new chapter of their lives.

    We are cheering for you....with each little milestone we see God’s hand in your life. And most importantly, we know YOU see it, Sherri –even if you can’t tell us all about it right now.

    Love and joyful days ahead, Christine and Roger Moffat and boys

    ReplyDelete