Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Today Joe and I were able to spend time with mom at the RIC.  It was so wonderful for me to share this visit with my estranged spouse.  We re-introduced ourselves to each other and felt some familiarity (Just to clarify Joe and I are happily married...I was only joking. Joe has been traveling back and forth from Utah while I am here with mom and I have only seen him a total of 7 days in the last 7 weeks).  He is a wonderful support to me and my family.  Different than many who experience difficult trials Joe truly looks at this as an opportunity to serve those that we love rather than a sacrifice.  His focus and positive perspective reminds me of a quote I once heard. 


“Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend … when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth” (Borghild Dahl, I Wanted to See 1944, 1) This was taken from Borghild Dahl, a woman who suffered severe vision impairment from a young age, but through determination managed to graduate from college and become the principle of 8 schools.  


I have thought a lot about this quote and her difficult journey.  How difficult it must have been for her to continue to study and stay focused on her goals.  Though the path was difficult, she endured.  Often times I feel discouraged from the changes in our families journey.  When those moments come it is difficult to see the abundance in our life and I find myself focused on what is missing.  Although I miss my mother more than words can express and though the ache remains I choose to find joy in the journey. 


I know that each of us face challenges and our own mountains to climb or burdens to bear, but no matter your situation we can find peace and heaven on earth.  The path may not be the one of choosing but it is the one we are on and one that is teaching us some of life's most important lessons. As Thomas S. Monson (President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) said in his last conference talk, "I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."


A few of todays joys...Mom continues to respond to commands, she is becoming more alert and has been doing well in her therapy sessions.  When given "yes" and "no" cards to look at and then asked, "is your name Sherrie?" she looked at "yes".  This is wonderful news and we continue to hope that progress in this area will allow her to communicate some.  They have also extended moms discharge date one more week...HOORAY!


Love, 
Brittney

2 comments:

  1. Soooo excited to know that there is a discharge date out there. These tidbits keep us hoping for more. Sherrie's recovery seems so real now.

    We love you all and will continue our prayers and thoughts. Not a day goes by that we say "Sherrie" out loud, not just in our minds.

    Sherrie we miss you, can't wait to see you at home where you belong.

    Susana & Jerry Parkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherrie continues to encourage me in my trek toward the 5k run. She is inspiring as she continues to work hard to get back to her family and friends. It's great to hear that there are avenues of communication opening up. I pray that those avenues grow into super highways between her and all of those around her.

    I found myself thinking today of the many times I was blessed to have Sherrie's kindness cross my path. Whether it was a conversation or simply her hand on my shoulder as she walked by, she seldom lets anyone go past her without a smile and acknowledgement. People still need that, Sherrie. Keep up your marathon and I'll keep up mine. With exercise induced asthma, it's tough for me but you fight to win your race, and I'll fight to finish mine!

    Regina DeDominicis

    ReplyDelete