Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Funeral Talk

Thank you for all of the love and support that has been extended not only the last few weeks but over the last 9 months. Our Heavenly Father is mindful of us and our struggles and I am eternally grateful for his role in my life.
Love Zach
Below is the talk that I gave at mom's funeral that Dad asked us to post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As many of you know I am quite a bit younger than my siblings. For those of you who didn’t know, all you have to do is look at Brandon’s increasingly grey hair. Growing up I always thought it was unfair that I didn’t have any brothers and sisters close to my age. I would always complain that the only reason I got in trouble was because I didn’t have anyone else to blame it on. My older brothers would often recall hilarious stories from their childhood only to get to the end and say, “Oh wait you weren’t born yet”.

          While I was throwing myself a pity party, my mom would put her arms around me and say, “Zoober if you weren’t my baby then we wouldn’t get to spend as much time together”. This proved to be true on multiple occasions. I remember one instance in particular when all I wanted to do was play soccer like my brothers but I was to young to play. I was really into soccer but to young to play… so I decided to make my own team. I had coaches, players, practices… but none of them were real. I remember one time specifically when I was adamant that my mom drive me to my soccer practice. She readily agreed knowing full well I had no practice. We jumped in the car and she said “Where to?”. A left here, a right here soon enough we pulled up to a park. “we’re here I said”. She asked if I wanted her to come with me but I declined saying I could do It by myself. After kicking the ball around for a while I came back to the car and told her practice was over, it was time to go home. On the way home she would ask me how practice was, if we had to run a lot, and who the best players were. Looking back I realized mom was up for anything, teaching me to enjoy life whether the adventure is real or pretend.
 
As I got older I began to appreciate our time together more and more. My mom and I were best friends. And we had to be, because she was involved in everything. If there is a record for the number of times that someone could be team mom or guest reader, my mom would hold it.

          Because of the special time I spent with my mom, and the lessons she taught me, today is not a day of mourning, even though I am really sad. Today is an opportunity for me to celebrate the life of the greatest woman I have ever known. The challenge is deciding what sweet memories of mom to share with you in the short amount of time I have been given.  She was kind, and loving, and always had time to listen… no matter who it was.

          When I was in High School, I started getting nervous that my friends liked hanging out with my mom more than hanging out with me. It was not uncommon for me to come home and find my friends sitting at the table chatting away with my mom.  Some days I would call her ten minutes before lunch and ask her if my friends and I could come home to eat. When we got to the house there would already be Panini’s, salad, and fresh baked cookies waiting.  Soon word of my mom’s lunches spread and more and more people wanted to eat lunch with me.

          Every time, my mom would give my friends big hugs, and talk like they were best friends… whether she knew them or not. But that’s just how she was. She endeared herself to everyone she met. When I would leave for school my mom would always say, “be a friend today… someone needs it”. But she didn’t just say it, she taught me through example. Growing up, I remember coming in the room for thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and every time there were people who I didn’t know that my mom had invited over so that they were not alone for the Holidays.

          One thing that my mom loved to do was go to my games. I never had to look up in the stands to know that she was there. Her cheering was a little bit different than the other parents. If I made a save I would hear her yell, “good save zachy!!!!” only to be immediately followed by “that was a really good shot too though!!!” or She would yell “get the ball… but don’t hurt em’”.

          Yes, my mom was an amazing woman. But perhaps the scriptures say it best in Proverbs 31. Let me read a few of the verses that Solomon wrote, who must have had my mom in mind when he wrote them:

 Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.

 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idelness.

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
           I love my mom and miss her dearly. And as sad as this day is, I know that I will see my mom again and that we will be reunited as a family. I know that families are forever! If not, then what’s forever for? I know there is a God in heaven who understands everything – especially why things happen. He is mindful of us and of our struggles and will never give us a trial that we cannot overcome with his help.

          I know that my mom is in a better place than we are, basking in the light of her Savior. I also believe in guardian angels, and hope that our Heavenly Father will be compassionate enough to occasionally let my mom look out for me when I’m faced with life’s most difficult decisions.
I testify that as much as I miss my mom, I will see her again. 
I love you mom. Thanks again for all you are, and for all you have helped me become.  I Thank God everyday that I will see you again!
 

2 comments:

  1. Zach, one of the coolest things is that your mom will be able to be your companion in Brazil. Cause you know she will!

    This was a perfect tribute. I loved it. Congrats on your call and peace be with you all the days of your life! ♥

    Julia Blue Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing talk Zach! Thank you so much for sharing it! Good luck on your mission in Brazil! You will be a great missionary and I know your mom will be with you every step of the way!
    The Herzigs love you!
    Noelle and the gang

    ReplyDelete