Monday, June 11, 2012

A Good Day


Today was a good day. I came to the hospital early in the day and enjoyed holding Sherrie's hand and getting her updated on our family, neighborhood and up coming events. When I walked in her room, her eyes were opened and she was much more active with her hands. For about three hours I tried to assess whether she was responding to my commands or having a series of involuntary responses. I suspect it was a combination of both. I am certainly not an expert in this area, but we have seen more and more movement from week to week. The experts tell us this is a good thing.  


Later in the afternoon she saw Sarah for PT and she confirmed there was more positive movement. I could not help but think how we take the simple effortless movements of our bodies for granted. We give little thought as to how it all comes together and works until it doesn't. At that point,  you examine and analyze every little movement for a sign of hope. 


Three weeks ago we were blessed to have a little grandson (Hudson) born into our family. I saw and held him for the first time this last weekend. His little body is a miracle. Divinely designed for a journey that will allow him to learn and grow throughout his life with oversight by a Mom and Dad who are experiencing indescribable joy and love. I thought of his little mind working to make sense of all his new surroundings while at the same time his grandmother is doing the same. One learning brand new things and the other working hard to remember and relearn all the things that have made her great. Sherrie has such a love for her grandbabies that I am sure one of her big objectives is to hold baby Hudson.  


Within a day or two we could be moving to the Rehab Institute where Sherrie will go into a very aggressive two week program to get her awake and access her level of activity. I spoke to a Dr. at the Institute and was very comforted by their capabilities and desire to give her the best care as we move to this next level. I know it will not be easy. It has not been easy watching them do PT with her at this stage. It will be a very different program when we get her moved. Another step in the right direction. 

I continue to learn about what is really important and what is just noise. For me it comes down to God, family and friends. Everything else should be supportive of these first three. If they are not, it creates a change in focus and behaviors. We end up getting hung up in the thick of thin things. I am thankful for blessings that prior to this experience I might have passed off as small or just a regular part of our day to day existence. I am thankful for brain waves and the ability to breathe independently and body movements and eyes that open and medical science and doctors and nurses who care and family and friends and prayer and revelation.  


As we have all expressed before, we thank you for caring and praying. You are one of the great blessings we receive daily. It lifts and sustains us.


11 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Please know that Dale and I are earnestly praying for Sherrie and your family. I've thought a lot about her today as I published my photography website. Just remembering the day that her and I and one other friend walked into a photography class full of young things, and all of us feeling so intimidated, but we banned together as we learned what a jpg file was and how to save a file. I'm sure we brought a lot of smiles to the other students faces as they watched in wonderment:) Sherrie was always so supportive, and I'm so glad that I had the chance to take that class with her. Tell her when she wakes up I will gladly come to Chicago and redeem myself with another photo shoot with her and Brittany. I think I may have improved a bit:) Thank you for sharing so much with us. We are all learning and coming to know the Savior more through witnessing the miracles that are taking place.
    Much love,
    Linda Prows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherrie and the whole Labrum family are continually in our prayers.
    Fondly,
    The Ripleys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, I agree that Hudson and all those other adorable Labrum grandchildren will help Sherrie continue to fight her way back to her loving family. We never utter a prayer without remembering all of you!

    With love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,
    Truer words could not be spoken; our Heavenly Father, family and friends-our knowledge and relationships companioned with our expereinces are all we can take back. With leaving in just weeks for a few years, the noise of packing, renting the house, trying to make sure the funds and our business are in order, closing my practice are all the noise...it is loud and can be so distracting. How grateful I am for prayer, for those moments when I read from you and your children, speak to other dear friends and family and can be reminded that the noise holds such little importance in the eternal perspective. Just months prior to Mike, my oldest brother dying and returning to so many of our generation who has been taken so young, he was comforting me when I was leaving one job I hoped to have forever and taking another. His only question was, 'as you leave are the relationships you've made going to offer an incredible reunion on the other side'? Wow, what an odd question, but as I have pondered it this is the same message you are expressing now. Sherrie has a world of reunions that are going to be incredible here as well as on the other side of the veil when that time comes for her, she is a woman who has loved and cared for others and how grateful Jeff and I are to have her and your family among those we cherish as our friends. Know we will always have you in our hearts and prayers as so many others do. You are so rich as to the love of others in this world which is an outward expression of all you've given in kindness and love, just as our Savior requested. We love you all! Marcia and Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear of Sherrie's continued progress. She is a remarkable woman. I hope I can be just like her one day :) Thank you so much for letting us be a part of this great spiritual journey.
    Cameron Schwieger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, Sherrie and family,

    This whole situation has caused me to reflect on the life I had, have and want for my future,and particularly how my personal future has an affect on my family. Being a former athlete, I know I can be in much better shape than I am and if this accident were to have happened to me, I probably wouldnt still be alive in ky current physicsl condition. You mentioned how Sherrie was blessed to be in such good shape and how that has helped her progress. Well, I've made a goal to lose 20 lbs this summer and continue progressing to the point of running in the Jiggle Butt Run 5K race in January which is focused on physical fitness for women. Thank u Sherrie for the inspiration to be the best me I can be. We continue to pray and keep her name on the temple prayer rolls here in TX. Stay strong Labrum family!

    The Reg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron - Sherrie, you and your entire family are continually in our prayers. It has occurred to me that while you are giving such a gift of sharing this journey, you are also teaching all who follow this about faith, commitment, serenity and many more of the graces you and your family illustrate. Everyone wishes that we could do more to support you and your family, but know that prayers are abundant.

    Cathy Specht

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, Family & Friends. In other words, it's all about love, and nothing else. What a blessing to realize this early in life...so many people only figure it out at the end. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and keeping us posted. She's still in my thoughts and prayers.
    ♥, Julia Wright

    ReplyDelete
  9. We so appreciate your updates and insights Ron! We wish Zach lots of luck and fun at BYU! We love you bunches!
    The Herzig gang

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ron,
    I just heard of Sherrie's accident this evening and wanted to let you know that Ron and I will keep you and your family in our prayers. We miss our "Buffalo Grove Family" and wish we were closer so we could help in a more "hands on" manner.
    I will continue to monitor your wonderful blog and stand ready to help in any way possible.
    Love and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wed already & I'm just getting this done. Ron, I'm just glad to read your updates. You keep us connected. We love Sherrie & are praying for her each day. I (Susana) dedicated my temple service to Sherrie today and it was a great experience. I know Heavenly Father hears our prayers. May the Labrum family feel of his love.
    Susana& Jerry Parkin

    ReplyDelete