Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Peaks and Valleys


It was another good weekend for our Mama.  She is as tough as nails.  I love her for continuing to fight, for not giving in when even the simplest tasks (squeezing a hand, lifting a finger, raising an arm, or juggling a soccer ball – kidding) seem impossible.  I know she is in there.  If there was any doubt before, she has proven it time and time again over the past week.  I know that she can hear us – and I’m sure wants nothing more than to consistently fill our constant pleading for more movement, more responsiveness.  I think sometimes she is looking at us thinking, “I am out of tricks for today, people!  If you want me to do something more, than give me a cookie ‘cause this liquid diet is not working for me!”  She is making phenomenal progress all things considered.  We are maybe three miles into the 26.2 mile marathon, but there have been many moments when we weren’t sure we’d even make it this far.  There is a long, long way to go – which can be very daunting – but she is been pretty impressive thus far.  It can’t be easy for her.  For as much as we are in the spiritual and emotional fight of our lives, she is in the physical fight of hers.  I could not be more proud of her.  

As total aside and to give you some insight into her therapy, there is a lot of right-side, left-side stuff going on.  As in, “Sherrie, can you turn your head to the left?  Ok.  Now, can you turn your head to the right?  Good.”  I keep waiting for the therapist to throw in “To left one time, to the right one time…now, sliiiiide!”  I have never been a fan of the obligatory wedding-style line dance (usually at the request of a long lost cousin that decided to make an appearance), but if Mom decided she wanted to bust out a Cha Cha Slide during her therapy, I would not complain.  Keep your fingers crossed for that.  We might even let them play Mambo No. 5 if we knew she’d respond to it!  

Also, here’s a clarifying note given some of the questions we have received.  Per Dr. Roth last week, Mom is no longer in a coma.  He encouraged us to not think about her state as in a coma vs. out of a coma (another reminder that those Grey's Anatomy writers full of it!), but rather in terms of increasing levels of consciousness.  In fact, when she arrived at the RIC, she was what they would call "minimally conscious" (not in a coma) but she has continued become more alert and is progressing out of her minimally conscious state as you have read in previous posts.  A big part of the game at this stage is managing her level of alertness.  As her brain continues to heal, the doctors expect her to become increasingly alert; however, she has a few things working against her on this front.  First, her body is weaker from being in bed and dealing with the effects the initial trauma.  She has lost a lot of muscle tone in the process.  Second, she is on a laundry list of medications nearly 3/4 of a page long that all have drowsiness as a side effect!!  The vast majority of these are preventative – to avoid seizures, blood clots, infection, for example – but are necessary to ensure she doesn't have complications that would impede her progress.   I am down for the count after a teaspoon of NyQuil so I can only imagine what she is fighting against to stay awake for her therapy sessions.  As time goes on and she is weaned off medications, we will get a better picture of her natural level of alertness.

Despite our wrestle internally to stay positive and find joy in the small wins, the journey remains exceedingly challenging – for both Mom and all of us who miss her as she was.  The daily uphill climb towards optimism and faith regularly seems ominous and some days completely insurmountable.  We rarely know much about the path that lies ahead other than that it's uncertain and rocky, but we have all committed to each other to keep moving, to stick with it for as long as it takes.  When we have finally dragged our minds and hearts to the the peak of each day (i.e., our best selves, our best feelings, our best hope) we begin again to put all of this in perspective and find gratitude in the countless blessings we have received.  Those are good moments.  And then, seemingly in an instant - as if pushed - we often find ourselves sliding down the other side back towards the dark places of sorrow, despair, and self-pity.  It's lonely down there and the path ahead feels even darker and scarier.  I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but I am continually amazed at how much easier it is to let your mind wander in wrong direction than it is to move towards faith, and hope, and trust in a loving God.  In our dark moments both individually and as a family, many of you have come to our rescue.  Your words of encouragement, your stories of triumph, your heartfelt embraces, your listening ears are often the catalyst for being able to take another first step back in the right direction, back up the hill, back towards an eternal perspective we long to achieve each day.  

And so go the ups and downs of this gut-wrenching, fascinating journey we are on.  I suspect that the coming weeks will continue as they have for the last six - with the highest of highs and lowest lows.  I pray each day that we learn the lessons that lay hidden for us to uncover along our way.  Many of you have experienced the valleys of tragedy (and in some cases the peaks of triumph) long before us.  We have gained a newfound respect, admiration, and love for you.  We rely on your experience and wisdom having been through this type of ordeal before.  On a very personal level, we are each learning the subtle, yet powerful difference between sympathy and empathy.  For as much as I dislike the experience we are having (I don’t want it now, and don’t want it later), I am eternally grateful that my Mom is teaching us to be more equipped human beings with a greater capacity to understand a small portion of the suffering that can occur in this life.  Life can be hard – there is no doubt about it - but we can can get through it.  Thank you all for sharing of yourselves to help us through this difficult time.  We could not do it without you.  

Love, 
Brandon

Here some pics of Mom and Kenzy...




9 comments:

  1. Ron, As I read your and your family's posts I can't suppress the feeling that you and Sherrie are so fortunate. It's hard to imagine saying those words in these circumstances yet I believe it with all my heart. I know Sherrie will continue to progress. With a family like yours fighting for her and all the prayers that are being said how could one believe otherwise. Continued wishes for good things. Margot

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you guys. Thank you for fighting for my friend. Don't give up. She is doing great things. As soon as Brent is done with all his leukemia stuff, I am coming out there! Tell Sherrie I will unload the dishwasher. (She'll understand.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see so much progress. We continue to pray for Sherrie and each of you. What a pleasure it was to spend time with many of you last week in Chicago. To feel of your goodness, to see once again the love you have for one another, to join with you in your faith and testimonies...As difficult as this situation is and as much as we cannot begin to comprehend all you are going through, we know you will look back on this time and see pivotal moments in each of your lives that will direct you throughout mortality and eternity. We know that Sherrie is so amazing that she volunteered for this learning experience for each of you. She continues to influence each of us through her goodness. May you find peace in this journey.
    Rick and Mauri Winder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon,

    Thank you for your perspective & insights! As relates to the wedding line dance, my time in Louisiana has opened my eyes to many things perhaps the greatest of which is "the wobble." look it up on YouTube next time you have a spare moment & I promise you will be converted:) maybe that can be Sherrie's celebratory dance in the not-too-distant future;)

    Love,
    Jenny Ludlow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing comments, Brandon. Your mom will be so proud of you all -and thrilled with the growth and faith and courage you are showing as you face each day's challenges - when she is again able to read this blog! We continue to pray for that day to come soon, but more importantly, for it to come when the Lord knows it is right. Hang in there - we are hanging with you.
    Love, Lorraine B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well AS I read this blog I kept saying wow that Brittany has such a gift for writing and I get to the end and it is Brandon! You all have a great way of expressing tender feelings and how your mother is doing. I have always seen Sherrie as a good teacher and very aware of others needs around her. She continues as she fights ands works hard each day to make it a good day for herself and those around her. Keep running with her We love you and continue to petition the Lord on all your your behalves. ( definitely no writing or spelling talent here not sure if behalves is a word but i know you know what i mean) love from the Dunns

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to the peaks and valleys. We in the Breillatt clan suddenly found ourselves in the midst of our own medical emergency earlier this week. How quick life can change! It's interesting that we know so much spiritually that can strengthen us, and we do indeed gain great strength from the gospel, but there are still those quiet dark moments when our emotions and worries can temporarily overwhelm. I think the hardest part is watching a loved one struggle, and wishing so desparately that we could do something for them -- anything to help. If not for the ability to turn to the Lord for strength to trust in Him, such experiences would be impossible. In the midst of our difficulty, I have pondered all that I have learned from your family over the last couple of weeks and gained strength from your examples. Thank you for that. And -- I am ever grateful for Sherri's progress. She continues to be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi cute Sherrie! I've been leaving comments on here essentially to your family, but just noticed that they read them to you, so I'll write this one for you specifically.

    It's been a lot of years since we had any real contact. I've kept up on some of the highlights in the Labrum universe via David, Jon and Merilyn Wright, and always enjoy hearing about your family. It boggles my mind how quickly they went from kids we babysat to parents with kids of their own! Really, that has been such a reality-check about how fast life moves. (My own childhood seemed to progress about as fast as night-before-Thanksgiving-traffic on the Dan Ryan, in comparison).

    Your kids and grandkids are so beautiful and light. You can see in the photos what good people they've become. You've always been a wonderful example of goodness and faith and fun and beauty. You always edify those around you...that is how I always felt in your presence, starting way back in the early days when we met.

    You've really been going through it these past six weeks. I appreciate the effort your sweet family has made to keep your adoring public informed of your progress. I've put your name in the temple every week...from Salt Lake and Draper to Manhattan NY, people are praying for you (and I'm sure far beyond--those are just the ones I've been in recently). It's been really interesting to understand things you're going through in a new way. I guess I always thought of being in a coma as like being awake or asleep...with a pretty defined line between. This slow process of awakening has got to be frustrating, but I'm so glad everyone has been patient and supportive of you. And for your effort to be responsive as much as possible. No one ever wants to be "interesting" in a medical sense, but you are making it through this journey and will eventually arrive at your desired destination. I know that miracles are alive and abundant in your life. You're one of the great ones, Sherrie. I hope we cross paths again in this life!
    Much love, ♥
    Julia Wright

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sherrie,
    This is Brother Austin.
    I just returned from 4 days at Scout Camp with Chase and Brik Eyre -- YES, ***BRIK*** was actually camping this year **in-a-tent** he bought for the Youth Trek this summer. I was so proud of him as I am sure that you are just hearing this. All the other years that he has come up with Ron, they have efficiently avoided "tents", "camping" instead at the local motel. haha This was my fourth year at camp and I do enjoy those beautiful serene wooded settings in Northern Wisconsin. However, I longed to read your blog and did not have ready access to it up at camp. Brandon's words touched me and Julia's comments reminded me that they do read these comments to you. So I thought I would share some fun experiences that I know that you would enjoy.
    -- Brik came this year because this was Chase's first year and it can be scary at camp for a first timer -- but not for Chase, he was an old pro at camp.
    -- Chase was called as the Deacon's Quorum President and acting Senior Patrol Leader. And Yes, he is natural born leader just like his Dad.
    -- The best part of the first day (Saturday) was seeing those 12 year olds AND Brik go down for their 50-yard-swim-test in the **frigid** waters of Lake Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan. Brik squealed just like the other 12-year-old boys when he jumped in the water feet first. Oh, did I tell you that I forgot to tell Brik and Dave Arrigo that leaders didn't need to do the swim test. Brother Chambers and I watched from the wooden benches, laughing and enjoying the squealing of these "first-year-campers".
    -- Watching Brik pick up his first tray full of "mess-hall-camp-food" was also hilarious. Good thing that Atigo, WI was close by so that Brik could "go connect to internet service" at the town Arbys. haha As I even say this, it dawns on me that you haven't tasted food for quite some time. Yes, food is still as delicious as you remember! What we would have done for a Lovin'-Oven Filled Cupcake, like what you served at Todd's reception... yum!
    -- I slept in Dave Arrigo's tent and I don't know which of the two of us snores louder, but needless to say, we have determined that our wives MUST BE SAINTS to live with us. I think if snoring was a sport, then I would have been a gold medalist!

    Its been a lot of years since Zac went to camp or high adventure with me -- I got to see him get his Eagle a couple weeks ago and was so proud of him -- it brought tears to my eyes. It was thanks to you, that he pushed through and endured to the end to get this -- the last of your boys to Eagle. I know that you would have been proud. I am proud of you -- you are doing great. Don't give up, I know that you can pull through. Please know that my family prays for you and loves you and your family. We would do anything for you. Laura sends her love, she text me that she is moving in September and misses you immensely!
    It will all get better!
    much love,
    Brother Austin
    Torture-master (Scoutmaster) Extraordinaire

    ReplyDelete