Thursday, May 24, 2012

The latest on Mom...

It's raining again today in Miami.  The last couple of days have started out like that - both in our hearts and outside.  You open our eyes to another day and there's a part of you that just can't believe its real.  The feelings and experiences we have had over the last six days have been as real and as poignant and as powerful as any of us have ever felt, yet sometimes it still feels like a really bad dream we'll all wake up from at some point.  You think, "this kind of stuff only happens to other people, not us.  Traumatic brain injury?  That's just not possible."  Yet here we are.  It DID happen to us and we, as a family, are doing our best to navigate these rough and uncharted waters.  As many of you know from your own trials and heartaches, it has been exceedingly difficult.  It's hard to believe its only been six days since mom's fall - it feels more like six months.  We are learning to just keep moving, keep praying, keep hoping...and little by little, we'll figure out what all this means both for mom and for us.

Fortunately, just as the rain has given way to sunshine here as the days progress, our hearts have been strengthened each day by small miracles - memories of mom, kind words from friends and family, good news (or lack of bad news) from doctors, feelings of peace that have helped us get through the day.  We never know where they will come from, but they seem to come at some point everyday. They remind us that God is in charge.  Please remember, we are not religious zealots committed to blind faith, leaving little room for science and modern medicine.  We listen to answers from our doctors just as we listen to answer from our prayers.  We are also not big believers in fate.  Rather, we try to do our best with the decisions that are placed in front of us and turn to a higher power for guidance as we make them.  We believe that God is intimately involved in our lives (more than even the most spiritual individual can begin to understand) and that there is a purpose behind all of this with my mom - lessons to be learned, experience to gain that will help in someway we currently don't understand.  The hardest part seems to lie in the uncertainty - What will happen to Mom?  What will she be like as she progresses?  How long will it take?  Unfortunately, those questions we so desperately ask to will only be answered over time - again, how much we do not know.  The feeling of helplessness can be overwhelming, but we strive each day to put all of this in His hands (and in the hands of highly capable physicians) and maintain an eternal perspective on this life.  We believe we will have the opportunity to live together as a family in the hereafter and enjoy my mom as we have over the last 56 years.  We hold on to this particular belief very tightly.

Now, some updates on Mom's progress (emphasis on progress).  The MRI, as we suspected, indicated that she has some damage to her thalamus.  Hard to know at this point how much is permanent (vs. brain cells that are dormant) - and virtually impossible to know what that means for her long term prognosis.  But, we do know that the damage has affected less than 50% of her thalamus.  Not good, but better than all of it.  One thing were learning about brain injuries and neurology (btw, one of the many things we wish we weren't learning about through this process) is that developing a timeline and prognosis is very difficult.  Brains work in unique ways for everyone and doctors never really know how someone is going to react to certain types of injuries.  Dr. Bullock said he has only seen her type of injury - brain injury that caused vertical pressure (vs. lateral pressure) resulting in a bi-lateral thalamic infarction - one other time in over 35 years as a neuro surgeon.  So, the full range of possibilities - from the very good to the very bad - are still in play here.  We do know that mom's recovery will take time and that (for as hard as this is to admit) she will likely not be exactly the same as she was before her injury - but again, we don't know exactly what that means.  It is in the realm of possibilities that she recovers and has a high quality of life - we pray for that constantly.

We are told that across thousands and thousands of case studies on people with brain injuries, the only consistently reliable predictor of future neurological function is progress at various milestones - e.g., 7 days post-injury, 14 days, 30 days, and so on.  For example, if someone doesn't respond/react after 30 days, it is highly unlikely that they will respond at day 60 or day 90.  So, what we are looking for a this stage is steady progress as we enter the 7-10 day timeframe.  Progress at this stage is defined by increased and increasingly more purposeful movement, opening her eyes, etc.  Fortunately, mom is demonstrating pretty solid progress over the last couple of days, which is a very good sign.  She is moving more and is responding to stimuli.  Her movements aren't always voluntary, but some of them definitely are - she will move her feet away if you tickle or pinch them; she also moves her arms up towards her chest which is really good.  Yesterday, she squeezed my hand with a couple of her fingers (made my day!).  The doctor told us this morning that she started to open her eyes when they were moving her into a new position.  All in all, this is really good progress.  Please pray for the next big step which is for her to open her eyes fully.  We've been playing her ESPN Jock Jams to get her pumped up!!

As was mentioned in the previous post, Mom also had an angioplasty to gather additional data on blood flow to the brain to complement some of the things they saw in the MRI.  Over the last couple of days, Mom's condition has become much more about neuro vascular care (i.e., monitoring and measuring blood flow to the brain) than neuro trauma as she has become more stable.  One of the things the doctors were worried about is the arteries that serve the back of the brain.  There was some concern that  they had been severed or pinched in a way that would significantly restrict blood flow.  This would be a really bad outcome if it were the case (essentially, we would have very little expectation for any recovery without very invasive surgery), so we found ourselves at another cross road.  Fortunately, the results came back in our favor - great news!!  The arteries had contracted somewhat in two places, but not to a degree that is would compromise blood flow to the thalamus and other areas, and it will eventually repair itself naturally.

All in all, it was a pretty good day medically.  We are coming to grips with the damage she has to her thalamus, but we didn't receive any news that would give us reason not to hope for better days.  The fact that she is moving and progressing that way is a good sign.  There will be days when she won't progress and other days where she will, and we pray we are ready for the ups and downs over the coming days and weeks.  To this point, we have been making progress in yards (we like yards!), but we all suspect the coming days are about making progress in inches.  Every inch counts, but it is going to take some time - there may be less to keep you apprised of on a day-to-day basis, but we will definitely share any news, thoughts, feelings as we have them.

Tyler, Zach, and Brik Eyre flew home to Chicago to get Zach through his last couple days of school before graduation.  He also has a second round lacrosse playoff game tonight in Libertyville.  He will play with a heavy heart, but Mom would want him to see through what he started with his team.  Go Cats!  Todd also flew home to Jess to be with their one week old baby, Hudson Michael Labrum.  We can't wait to meet him.  Dad, Brit and I are holding down the for here with Mom.  We have been reading her a lot of your messages, so keep them coming.  As always, thank you for you generous love and support of our family - we couldn't do it without you.

Given the long road ahead, we have been learning something about patience - something we are not naturally good at in the family (Mom was definitely the exception).  It is a hard lesson to learn and one I suspect we will struggle with throughout this journey.  I wanted to share a couple of thoughts/quotes that have help us gain better perspective.  I pray that they are, in some way, beneficial to this broader group.  The quotes below come from a discourse given by one of the leaders of our church, Elder Dieter Uchtdorf - I think there is wise and inspired counsel in these words (please forgive the length):


"Patience [is] far more than simply waiting for something to happen—patience required actively working toward worthwhile goals and not getting discouraged when results didn’t appear instantly or without effort.
There is an important concept here: patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!
The children of Israel waited 40 years in the wilderness before they could enter the promised land. Jacob waited 7 long years for Rachel. The Jews waited 70 years in Babylon before they could return to rebuild the temple.  In each case, Heavenly Father had a purpose in requiring that His children wait.  Every one of us is called to wait in our own way. We wait for answers to prayers. We wait for things which at the time may appear so right and so good to us that we can’t possibly imagine why Heavenly Father would delay the answer.


Patience is a godly attribute that can heal souls, unlock treasures of knowledge and understanding, and transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels. Patience is truly a fruit of the Spirit.
Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. It means reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. It means resisting evil, even when it appears to be making others rich.
Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being “willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father.” 8 Ultimately, patience means being “firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord” 9every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. In the words of John the Revelator, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and … faith [in] Jesus.” 10
Patience is a process of perfection. The Savior Himself said that in your patience you possess your souls. 11 Or, to use another translation of the Greek text, in your patience you win mastery of your souls. 12 Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most. This was true in the time of the Savior. 
To paraphrase the Psalmist of old, if we wait patiently for the Lord, He will incline unto us. He will hear our cries. He will bring us out of a horrible pit and set our feet upon a solid rock. He will put a new song in our mouths, and we will praise our God. Many around us will see it, and they will trust in the Lord. 14
The work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments; trust in God, our Heavenly Father; serve Him with meekness and Christlike love; exercise faith and hope in the Savior; and never give up. The lessons we learn from patience will cultivate our character, lift our lives, and heighten our happiness.
WE LOVE YOU ALL.  THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO.
LOVE, 
DAD, MOM, AND ALL THE KIDS













21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful example of faith you are all. We are praying for her to wake up soon and pray your family can have more comfort during this time. Love,
    The Bjorn family (Gurnee 2nd)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherrie is constantly in our prayers, individually and as a family. Two weeks ago (after I had left my car running in a parking lot, backed into my brother's car in the driveway, and left the front door wide open while I ran errands)Sherrie joked that I was her kindred spirit. If I could be more like her in other ways, that would be a very good thing! She is a wonderful example of unconditional love and concern for others and I know that we are all extending that back to her and your family now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending hugs from our hospital room to yours. Wish Brent and Sherrie could be roommates. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to write a quick note-- though we've kind of communicated through Wendy and Carol and the occasional text, I thought this could be a better way to express our love and support for Sherrie and the rest of the Labrum crew. My thoughts and prayers are consumed with all of you-- I want to hop over the space that divides us and give you all a big hug. I love you all as if I'm a part of the Labrum family (and I'm assuming many others feel the same way because of your loving, open-armed approach to life and friends). This is a trait all of the Labrums have, especially Sherrie. Even years ago, I would talk about her to my sisters, when I had the lucky opportunity to live the your family for the summer, and tell them that she is probably the nearest to perfect person I've met. Every act is sweet and selfless. What an example she's always been to me! I do have the calm reassurance that things will be ok-- regardless of what the specifics of that entail, I do know that the one in charge knows what He's doing. I love you all so much and cling to each piece of positive news. We're rooting for you, Sherrie. Love, love, love to you.

    Sincerely, Hannah (and the Bryan Crew)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron and Brik,
    I read Landon's mission letter saying he was sitting in a cafe in Bolivia crying about Sherrie and the accident. It touched me to write that I had a similar experience while I was on my mission and I just want witness to you that I know that you and your families are in our Heavenly Father's care (as so many have in their comments).
    While I was on my mission in Sweden, my family was visiting Utah for April '87 conference and had spent the weekend in Centerville. My 8 year old brother Jesse and 6 others were playing on a steep rocky slope with a large over hang on the rocky cliffs above Bountiful. The earth collapsed from above, crushing and twisting his tiny body-- trapping him under several tons of boulders and dirt and buried for he said “felt like an eternity in darkness”. He could only gasp dirt, which filled his lungs.
    My mother called my Mission President in Sweden to request permission to contact me about fasting for my little brother Jesse. He gave her permission and she called. She didn’t tell me much at that time except that he had been life-flighted to Children’s Hospital and just gone into surgery and that they had flown in a neuro-surgeon from another state (NY?). Jesse had a 50% chance of living and my family wanted me know. I was horrified -- Jesse had asked me to baptize him when I returned home in 4 months – he had already turned 8 and was waiting for me. I felt devastated. I had been promised in my setting apart that my humble family would be taken care of, if I took care of the Lord’s business in Sweden. And now, half way through my mission, this came crushing down on us. Could the Lord know how I felt? Did he know how Jesse was suffering? I was sick with worry about the pain Jesse must be suffering just as I sense you all are.
    Over the next hours and what turned into days, I prayed, studied and fasted to know the Lord’s will in all this.
    My studies led me to 2 Nephi 9:21, “For behold, He suffereth the pains of all, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men and women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam.”
    This brought me comfort somehow and I knew He was making Jesse’s burden lighter. My companion directed me to the promises in Isaiah one evening 58:9,11 “Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am…..The Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought,…. And thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters fail not”
    I cried for Him a little differently after that. I knew that He felt Jesse’s pain and had already suffered it. I knew that he understood my pains and understood what we were experiencing.
    The first 8 hours of that fast were the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but after that I felt like warm arms embraced me. The surgery lasted 8 hours (I’m told), I fasted for three and a half days until they (remembered) and finally called me to tell me he had survived the surgery, but was paralyzed from the waist down.

    Since then nothing has kept Jesse down – He was sent to Atlanta on a mission! He has set 6 National Junior Olympic records, was married and has two children (with one on the way) in Ft. Collins, Colo. He is an engineer at Emerson.
    He will tell you now that accident was something he agreed to do in the pre-existence – our family was bonded after that experience and today he is a spiritual giant. God has a plan and it will all work out in His time.
    all my love,
    Brother Austin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed again and again by all of you. I can't imagine what the past week has been for all of you but the faith, hope and optimism you have is inspiring. Know that so many are praying and fasting right along with you and that Heavenly Father will and does listen. The answer isn't always what we want exactly but it is always for our good (although we can't always see that immediately). Thank you for building and strengthening my testimony through this. I will keep praying with you all and will be anxiously awaiting updates on the "inches."
    Love to you all -
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever wrote this is a very gifted writer. And if you received this twice it is my ungiftedness in technology and using laptops. Thank you for the fabulous posts and the spiritual teachings. A blessing to me. The saying "One Day at at Time" has never rung truer than with all of you right now. I am doing something Sherrie lived for and that is Grandma duty with a new grandson. He was also born a week ago. I think of Sherrie now. You have probably already done this but if you can let her often hear her grandchildren sing, talk to her, laugh and even her new grandson cry that would bring much strength and happiness to her. I am sure she answers to many forms for the word grandma (gwamma,gamma,mammaw ect..)and would love to her those little voices. Grandchildren fill a big space in your heart you never knew was empty. Much love to all of you as you courageously face each day with hope and optimism.
    Mary Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the pain and love we feel for each of you! Throughout the long days in the future, just know that our hearts and prayers are knit with yours. As I have petitioned Heavenly Father for Sherrie and your family, I have tried to find the right words to pray so that my will might be guided by God's will. At times I have felt the affirmation of the Spirit and then I knew that I had found the right words. I know that Heavenly Father is so aware of your family and of Sherrie right now. I remember those long days as I sat with my mother-in-law as she recovered from a stroke. The lack of answers from the doctors was frustrating, but you're right: Brains are unique and unchartered territory, and each recovery is different. There will be days where advances are made in yards, and others where advances come in inches (and even some where it seems like progress is going backwards), but through it all, our prayers, thoughts and love will be with you. Even more importantly, I know that Heavenly Father's love will surround you and bear you up. We love you!

    Love,
    Jim and Elise(Breillatt)Bouc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the update, I check the blog several times a day, hoping to hear any news. Our family prays for you at every chance we get!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a beautiful post! These posts have uplifted me so much and added to my testimony! I love to hear about Sherrie from all of your perspectives. These are not usually things you get to hear about a person, the intimate, sweet details of who she is and who you are as a family. Dave and I were talking a couple nights ago about this, as we have many times a day during the last 6 days as we have heard updates from you, that we want our family to be like you guys. We were talking about the things that make a family strong...the love, the gospel, the faith, the support of each other, the sincere admiration for each other, and enduring love and care. You have shown this to the most beautiful degree. It's been like listening to conference reading these updates. What hope you show in the face of this trial and how beautiful it is. You have a beautiful family :) and we love you so.

    I also want you to know that I have looked at prayer a little differently since this happened. I have learned how very real and tangible it is like I never have before. We continue to pray for ALL, of the Labrum family and especially Sherrie that you will continue in your warrior-like fashion. We love you!!!

    FIGHT SHERRIE FIGHT!!!!!!

    xoxo,

    kirsten & dave wright

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you, Brandi. Thank you so much for sharing these updates and esp. for sharing your heart. It means so much to all of us anxious for news. Tell your Mom I love her. - Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Labrum kids,

    I hope your mother has a chance to see what Stripling Warriors you all are. Your testimonies are evident through your strength and endurance on her behalf. Your parents have raised you well and gave prepared you to endure the hardships with faith unwavering. God bless u all as we await, for however long that may be, to determine the future of our dear Sherrie.

    I recall that she was the FIRST person I told when I found out we were pregnant after years of infertility treatment and she was a great source of support. She was there to help me pull off the surprise to Vince and my mother, not to mention the Relief Society because she was in the presidency at the time. Though she forgot the "big pickle" that night, the surprise was hers to share for keeping my secret!

    Like so many, I reach for my phone several times a day to see what updates may have been posted. I got tears in my eyes today when I read that she seemed to have tried to open hers. Open those eyes Sherrie! I have seen you dress up and play many parts for a good laugh. This gig is up, lady! Open up so we know you're in there! We love you and we're all on the sidelines cheering you on!

    Love You!
    Regina (and Vince) DeDominicis

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is wonderful to know that all the comments on this blog are kind words that just are not only to strengthen the Labrum family but also to strengthen many of us that are extending their love for Labrum family. Sherrie as we think of her smiling face it is hard for us to imagine that she will not be the exact same after all this. But we are sure that our father in heaven knows our burden and pain to imagine Sherrie like that and he will provide us all the comfort that we are in need through our prayers. Our prayers and love are constantly with Sherrie and the Labrum family as they go through this time of hardship.

    Love, Aparajitha and Sanjay Murala(BG II)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brandon,

    Just came in to let you know that you're all in my thoughts and that this blog helps me get updated of the latest news on your mom's condition. I think about you guys every day and night and all of us here in DR just keep praying every day and night for all the best things to happen in the up coming days. Please extend our regards to your Dad and let him know that we keep elevating our prayers to the Lord for Sherrie's recovery and that we keep confident that she'll pull through eventually.
    Stay sweet and don't ever change you are a very strong and determined person and we all admire you and your beautiful family for being so close and for loving one another as much as you all do.
    God bless you all and you are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    With all my love,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherrie,

    I've been thinking about you lately as I read these posts, and one of my favorite memories of being with you is when there were youth activities at the stake and you were always there to help out feeding 200 youth. I asked you once if this was something that you were called to do, and the look on your face told me that you didn't need to be asked - you just do! What a great lesson to me. That is charity in its purest form.

    We continually pray for you in our family and want you to know we love you. Continue to work hard at recovering so you can be back with us again. We love you so much!

    Annette McLane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Labrums -

    Thank you for having this blog to keep us all updated on Sherrie's progress. I am reminded of a very dear student of mine who, one year ago tomorrow, had a wooden pillar accidentally fall on her while at a friend's house. Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City said it was the worst neck break that they had ever seen. When I first visited her in the hospital, she could only smile and blink once for "yes" and twice for "no". It was heartbreaking. Here was this bright, athletic, beautiful girl who had her life changed in an instant. Now, one year later, she is in a wheelchair that she pushes around herself, she is a High Honor Roll student, and she is a bright, vibrant example to those around her at my school and elsewhere. It is amazing and so wonderful to see.

    Like you mentioned above, it is so hard to know what lies in the future for Sherrie. But knowing her and your family, she will continue to make tremendous progress as she has been. She knows that you are there helping her along the way. She is a strong-spirited individual with so much potential and such a bright future ahead of her. When I think of her, I think of my awesome Young Women's President back 20+ years ago. She is always one of the first to come up and say hi to me when I come home to visit in the summer. I know that this cheery disposition, positive attitude and her and your faith in Heavenly Father's plan will get her through anything.

    All of you are in my family's thoughts and prayers. We love you guys!!!

    Tara Haslam (Henke) and family

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember Sherrie from when I first started coming to Church. Ron was the Bishop so he was on the stand and each week, Sherrie had different kids from the ward sitting with her during sacrament meeting. I was so confused. I never knew which kids belonged with which family! They LOVED sitting with her, (and who could blame them). I can't think of a time that I've seen Sherrie when I wasn't greeted with a huge smile and a hug. Sherrie, you are certainly missed and we can't wait to have you home again!!! My mom also checks your blog about 5 times a day and says that you are in her every thought and prayer! You are loved!
    Love,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  18. To our Dear friends the Labrum family,

    We, like all of your many friends, continue to pray for you daily and have you in our thoughts constantly. We look forward to the updates and "rays of sunshine" regarding Sherrie's progress and watching how you are all working together. As you read the notes of love and concern to your Mom, we believe she DOES hear these words and knows how we are all pulling and praying for her. I look forward to the time that her recovery allows her to read them herself as part of your family history. She will be extremely proud of her children and husband and how you have conducted yourselves through these trying times. You are outstanding examples to all of us and continue to provide rightous inspiration for not only your friends "back home" but the new people you are meeting everywhere you go. Whether it be the Dominican Republic, Miami or elsewhere around the world, Sherrie and each of the Labrum family continue to impact the lives of every single person you come in contact with. You are all wonderful people and we are anxious for Sherrie's recovery and your return so we can help you however you may desire. Thank you for being such a great example to us.
    We Love you all
    The OBriens

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for that Brandon. In the midst of all this, you continue to lift the rest of us up through your expressions of faith.
    Please squeeze your mom's hand for me, and tell her I am spending the day with her Utah "babies", that always gets a little rise out of her ;) I keep you all in my heart and pray for you as well as my sweet sister. I love you all so much,
    Aunt Shar

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Labrum Family,

    Thank you for the updates on Sherrie. It is so very clear from the postings and photos that y'all have a fantastic family and a wonderful support system for Sherries recovery. Please know that folks here at Fenwal are extending our hearts, our thoughts, our hopes, and our prayers for Sherrie to get well soon. Take care everyone.

    Peace,
    Mashke

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zach scored the first goal of the game last night. The stands stood and cheered (and cried) with all their hearts knowing that was for his mom. There was more support and love at that game for Zach and your family than I have ever seen. That is a true testament to the family that you and Sherrie have raised. Please know we will do Anything for your family and continue constantly praying for her.
    Much Love and prayers,
    The Pistellas

    ReplyDelete